When leasing a car, should I use a Car Leasing Broker or Main Dealer?
A Car Leasing Broker (also known as a Vehicle Leasing Consultant) is often the best choice for most small to medium sized businesses and private individuals. He acts as an intermediary between the Finance Company and the company or person wishing to lease a vehicle.
Similar to an insurance broker, he checks a number of funding providers on a daily basis to see which is the most competitive on a particular vehicle. This is in contrast to the Main Dealer who is usually tied to using only his Manufacturer’s finance terms, which may be uncompetitive.
In addition, due to the large volume of business the Car Leasing Broker introduces to Main Dealers, he has negotiated the best possible discount on the vehicle. This preferential vehicle discount, together with the low Finance Company rate, means that he can usually offer a much lower lease rental than is available direct from a Main Dealer.
Furthermore, a good Car Leasing Broker can often provide a much higher level of Customer Service and personal attention than either the Finance Company or Main Dealer, because he is acting primarily on your behalf. He is there for any help you may need or issues you may have with your vehicle or contract during the course of the rental period, and will help you liaise with the Finance Company if problems arise.
So, what should I look for when choosing a Car Leasing Broker?
- Independence – a vehicle leasing broker should not be tied to any one finance company or vehicle manufacturer
- Broad portfolio of finance company funding partners to ensure the most competitive quote – a broker should be well placed to compare the market to find you the best deals
- Member of the British Vehicle Rental & Leasing Association (BVRLA). This accreditation means that a Broker must offer you the highest levels of service, honesty and integrity, and must handle any customer issues promptly and efficiently (conciliation service is available if necessary)
- Well established business with a proven track record – ask to see testimonials from satisfied customers
- Should be able to supply all makes & models of cars and commercial vehicles, and offer all the main types of Business Car Leasing and Personal Car Leasing Contracts – your one-stop shop
- Should be happy to give free impartial advice on the most suitable option for each individual customer, including VAT & company car tax (e.g. helping private individuals opt out of their Company Car Scheme)
- Should keep you fully informed as to the progress of your order and provide one convenient point of contact for all your queries or issues about your vehicle or contract, so you have no need to contact the finance company or supplying dealer directly.
- Should offer Free Delivery to your home or office, and Free Collection at termination of contract
- Should offer pooled mileage arrangements, as this could potentially make substantial savings for companies with a number of vehicles
- Should offer a full range of Car Leasing services including Fleet Management, Maintenance Contracts, Accident Management, Duty Of Care legislation compliance, Gap Insurance, Fuel Cards and Short Term Rental
So, it’s definitely worth speaking with a reputable Car Leasing Broker if you’re looking for a competitive leasing quote and you value good Customer Service.
If you’d like to learn more about Car Leasing, then you’re welcome to:-
- Sign up for the Car Leasing Guide RSS Feed
- Subscribe to our Blog and receive each new Blog Post direct to your email inbox
- Check out ‘The Car Lease Guide eBook – A Plain English Guide To Car Leasing’